Saturday, January 28, 2012

Surprises in La Fortuna

With any trip, things do not always go according to plan, as I have already realized, and it seems the trip is going to continue to be that way. I found out last night while talking to my wonderful police officer students over dinner (which was again black beans and rice as I feel all my meals down here will be as all their meals always consist of this along with some meat which as a vegetarian I do not eat, and everyone here thinks I’m absolutely crazy for not eating meat) that the only time I can have class with them is from 6-9pm in the evening during dinner after they have worked an entire day. Thus, this morning after a very nice walk around La Fortuna and taking photographs for all of your enjoyment, getting some fresh fruit for breakfast, I also did some job hunting. I’m REALLY REALLY hoping that I can get a job, yes PAID job, giving tours around the Volcan Arenal and the nearby cloud rainforest! How awesome will that be! I even met a guy from CA that has a tour company that will be calling me tonight. I also found a gym that is only $24 a month that has stationary bikes and other equipment so I won’t be missing my road bike at home too much. There is also a pretty nice track and soccer field here that I might get to play some futbol with the police officers every once a while. I also discovered the local Burger King, yes Burger King, has free wifi which is also below the gym and will make communicating home much easier. On the bad news side, I took a shower last night and my nice host mom showed concern that it was cooler at night, and when I got in and realized there was only cold water- and if you know me, I like my showers HOT, so 3 months of cold water is going to be tough. Luckily my parents and brother get here in 50 days (not that I am counting) for his Spring Break and I will get to take a shower at their hotel! J Otherwise, things are going well. My host “Dad” who is only 23 and looks like he is 17 is also very laid back and kind, and last night we all went to the central park to enjoy the nice night and chat. I’m still getting used to this upper 80 to 90 degree weather and sun, but it’s better than snow! We also saw 6 huge campers that were part of the production crew which I was told is for a movie with Will Smith and his son! Later this afternoon, I am running with three police officers and then have my first English class this evening. On the lesson plan: introductions and greetings!  

1 comment:

  1. Kisa- I thought I would also add that the bull in one of the photos in the last photos I posted was running around loose on my walk home today. I had to make a detour to stay away and watch it get in the way of cars. Also, last night I watched futbol (soccer) with some of the police officers. Ironically it was the U.S. women playing against Costa Rica for a spot in the Olympics. I was glad to see my real home win 3-0! :)

    ReplyDelete