Thursday, January 26, 2012

San Jose: Orientation

Well, I made it to Costa Rica! I arrived last night and after my flights from Tulsa to Dallas and Dallas to San Jose. After getting my bag at the San Jose airport, I ended up waiting for a long 2 hours for another person supposed to go to the same hostel (which wasn't as bad thanks to the company of another waiting traveler from England to chat with), but finally made it to the hostel around 11pm to find some confusion about when my arrival date was supposed to be, but fortunately everything was worked out and my only roommate in my dorm was a very nice retired Canadian woman, whom I've learned about her awesome life traveling around the world by sailboat. This morning I got up and explored more of the very nice hostel with its little pool area with hammocks and chairs filled with other travelers basking in the warm sun. I then went out to see some of the downtown San Jose area including the main Judicial area, the National Costa Rica museum, and their Central Park including several pieces of artwork which you can see in the photos. I then came back for my volunteer orientation (where there was also some confusion) but after a delay was able to meet with the nice man in charge of my project down here named Adrian, technical information about my new host family (which does not include a 20 year old guy as was originally planned and that they know no English), and the police I will be teaching which luckily it sounds like they are excited to have me. I also found out I have total control over my actual teaching technique and lesson plans, which was a bit surprising, but also exciting.  In the morning I will be getting a taxi to the bus station and take my 2 hour ride to La Fortuna and get settled into my host home, which at this point I am very looking forward to getting settled in! Also hoping that what little Spanish skills I do have start to kick in a little better because right now I'm feeling pretty lost!

2 comments:

  1. It's the begining of a great adventure!! I'm so excited to read more! I miss your sweet Kisa Spanish accent:) You are going to rock this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Taylor Anne!!!! It really means a lot! And I'll be using that Spanish accent a lot now. :) Hope all is well for you!

    ReplyDelete