Friday, January 27, 2012

Made it to La Fortuna!

Today I made it to my volunteer project location- La Fortuna, Costa Rica after a long 4 hour bus ride from San Jose. The views throughout the ride were amazing going through mountains and seeing all the tropical trees with bright orange, yellow, purple, and red. As I am teaching the tourist police English in this town, a police officer was to pick me up at the station. I arrived later than originally expected so I didn't know if they knew I was there and was a bit worried. Another bus companion of mind that I had noticed because he was the only other white person approached me. I immediately felt bad for my worries as he had a bag with his passport, money, ipod, and small computer stolen. When the police arrived to help them, they were also looking for me, so my ride arrived! We went to the police station where I met the other police officers. Some of my prior worries about what they would be like completely fanished. They were all super welcoming and excited to have me. They even gave me some of their yummy rice and beans lunch as the police here have a system similar to firefighters in the U.S. and work every other week, living at the station during their week to work. Thus, I will also have two sets of students. I also got to meet my host family "mom" who is actually 25 years old and works at a sporting goods store in La Fortuna. She is absolutely a sweetheart and very friendly. I am so glad to have more of a peer as a host family. And she wants to run with me!!! And is hoping to learn English as well, so I'm more than glad that I will have my hands full teaching people as I like to be busy. And on top of all that, it is beautiful here. The plants, flower, the towering volcano over the town, I will have much to explore. The town is also small enough that I feel completely safe walking around. Furthermore, both the police and my host mom think that my Spanish is good! Go figure! They are being patient and kind, but I don't feel as completely lost as I did before, which is wonderful. I will definitely be posting some photos of La Fortuna for you all soon!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment