Monday, February 6, 2012

Superbowl Sunday

Although I am not a huge football fan (that is futbol americano), I do enjoy Superbowl Sunday. There is something about the big shared event that makes it exciting. Last night, I met many of those Americans in the "La Fortuna Social Club" who own hotels and restaurants in the area as well as several American friends visiting Costa Rica. The hotel/restaurant where the party was held was actually that of a guy from Pennsylvania and is a vegetarian and his restaurant features lots of vegetarian food! What are the odds? He even invited me back for a free soy burger. Judging from the food at the Superbowl party including fresh tortillas, a delicious curry-like dip, a oil onion/parsley/tomato dip, and yummy fried yuca (a root vegetable similar to potatoes), I´m sure most of the food their is going to be great. One of the other Americans brought a projector and large screen for everyone to watch the game on. Although the actual game was commitated in Spanish and we didn´t get to see any of the special Superbowl commercials, it was a good, fun game to watch and share the event together. We also got to see the half time show, which is always one of my favorite parts of the game. I thought Madonna put on a pretty good show too. I was also happy to see the Giants pull out the win. Watching the game and the half time show thousands of miles away from Indianapolis, I realized just how small the world is now with technology and how much influence the U.S. has on other parts of the world. It is truly incredible when you think about how it would have been impossible for me to do the same thing only 75 years ago.
Today I´m looking forward to another relaxing day or reading and a nice run. I finished the book "Water for Elephants" which was really a great book, and now moving on to one of my childhood favorites "The Giver." I´m ready for the day having had my pico gallo (rice and beans) breakfast. Now my friend Victor, who is also the cook, has a song for me while I eat breakfast. It goes something along the lines of "Kisa is going to get fat and loose her boyfriend..." Although from this song it might not seem like it, he is one of the sweetest guys here and one of my favorite students. We kid with each other because we like each other. He also likes to tease me because I do not particularly like to have ants in my drink which happens often because lots of the drinks made at the station, like lemonade, a rice milk drink, and coffee, have sugar in them and the sugar often has some ants. The police officers are used to having this little extra something in their drinks and don´t particularly mind, so they insured me that I do not need to try to pick the ants out of my drinks and that they are good for me. Victor insists they will give me energy for my runs. So, he also reminds me to have some ants with my meals as well. Honestly, the ants really aren´t a problem, but the dang mosquitos still like to harass me. Last night I woke up to a bit on my thumb and foot. However, when I woke up I made sure there was one less misquito in this world!

No comments:

Post a Comment