Saturday, February 11, 2012

Falling Out of the Raft: Better than a Roller Coaster

There is something about humans that makes us want to push limits and take just enough risks to get us to the point where our hearts race and our adrenaline is pumping- thus we have things like roller coasters, which I absolutely love. However, I found today that there is something that works much better than any rollercoaster to get this rush: falling out of a raft going down some class IV rapids in a river in tropical Costa Rica. Yes, I of course won the prize to be the first person on our rafting trip to fall overboard. As dangerous as it could have been, it was an absolute thrill. Fortunately I did not hit any big boulders and was swiftly pulled back in by my strong raft guide, Oscar. My fall truly only added to the absolutely amazing experience of river rafting. Although I rafted the AR River in Colorado this past summer, I don’t think it really compared to the trip I took today. It was one of the most beautiful places I have ever been too. The rocks and canyons that have been carved by the river surrounded by the immense green of the tropical rainforest all around are just breathtaking. Add in the random 30-foot waterfall cascading down the rock walls into the river, the wild banana trees that grow tiny bananas and local orange lime trees growing along the river, the coolest trees ever called “The Flame of the Forest” that sprout only bright orange flowers, and you have to pinch yourself to make sure you are really there. It was such an awesome time. My friend Lindsay and her awesome friend Naomi who is visiting went together along with some other great tourists in our group. I’m so thankful to have these girls, as it makes it easier to go out and have fun doing some touristy stuff rather than go alone. In my raft included Naomi and a father and daughter from Argentina. The father and I were in the front of the boat as we were the tallest and thus got the most waves and pushed around the most. We had so many laughs and screams together throughout the trip. At one point this man, Roberto, flipped all the way over me and fell into the river. I don’t know how I didn’t go in with him for a second time. There was a photographer that went ahead in a kayak to get photos of us along the trip (which I hopefully will be getting some e-mailed to me from Roberto), and we got to see these photos at the end of the trip. They were so hilarious, especially some of my faces as Roberto flew over me. During the trip we made a pit stop at a small shallow-beach area and had fresh cut pineapple and watermelon grown in Costa Rica. So delicious!
Also included in the rafting trip was a big buffet style late lunch at a small 2-acre organic farm just outside La Fortuna. It was so neat. Eighty percent of everything served to us was grown at the farm. The meal included rice and beans (of course) as well as yummy cooked squash, papaya root, yucca chips, fresh salad with a yummy zesty sauce, green beans cooked inside fried eggs, and great baked Tilapia that was also raised on the farm along with tasty papaya juice. For dessert we also had coffee and a yummy coconut ice cream type popsicle.  The area where we ate sat right along another little spring and more forest. Our visit to this farm did not stop there though. After we ate, we looked at those great photos, and then took a tour of the farm. They showed us how they organized the crops, where they make their rich-dark composted soil, had us taste the bitter herb that they grow around some of the crops to keep away possums and raccoons and other small creatures that may come and bring along pesticides and other unwanted material from other non-organic farms, showed us their Cocoa trees and let us try the fruit around the Cocoa beans, their pineapple plants, which pineapple is actually a flower, who knew? Finally, they finished the tour off with a long demonstration about sugar cane. They first juiced a 6-foot sugar cane which produced an entire large pitcher of juice, as the cane is 75% juice and 25% fiber. The sweet juice was so good. They also make moonshine with the sugar cane. I don’t like alcohol as it is, but there was no way I could’ve drank this stuff it was SO strong. The minute it hit your lips you could feel it. We also got to try eating the cane as well as a little candy made from brown sugar of the sugar cane. I learned so much! They guide also reminded us the importance of conserving water, using less plastic, and being more aware of our effect on the planet. Overall, it was a fantastic trip and tour. If any of you ever go to Costa Rica, go to La Fortuna and take a day trip with the Costa Rica Descents! (Also, check out the photos in my next post to see some of the items I just talked about).
As far as the rest of the last part of this week went, this past Thursday I had a bit of bad luck and lost my key to the apartment while out on a run. I didn’t realize I had indeed lost the key till after I had returned from my around 6.5 mile run; thus, I turned around and walked the entire 6.5 miles again in search of the key. With part of my run being on gravel road and the area that I think it most likely fell off my keychain, I had no luck recovering it. Frustrated and very tired after running and walking up a big hill for around 4 hours, I welcomed my cold shower. And luckily, my host parents had another extra key and it was not too much of a problem. This  however is the second set of keys I have lost in the last 8 months- hopefully I won’t have to do it a third time to learn my lesson once and for all.
Friday, was an absolutely beautiful day in Fortuna. It was so sunny and clear that it was actually quite hot for most of the day. I did not complain too much though while chatting with some friends back in Joplin, MO on skype who were complaining about the cold and slightly snowy weather they were having. Friday afternoon I went to the Fortuna Social Club meeting held at a local restaurant and bar owned by a guy from Southern CA called “Lava Lounge.” It’s a cool little restaurant that gives the club free chips and salsa for the occasion and I also enjoyed a nice slushy lemonade drink. For a large portion of the meeting I spoke with the gentleman who owns the “Around the World” Mini-golf attraction in town who is originally from New York. I could tell from his accent that he was most likely from the Northeast. When I told him I was from MO he immediately joked, “Well then, you have to Show ME don’t you? haha.”  We went on to have a long discussion about psychology as that is what he studied for 6 years, and especially on Zodiac signs as he told me all about my sign the Gemini and how I must think, pretty interesting guy.
After visiting with my American compadres I headed to the police station for dinner and class. Dinner was pushed back a bit as some of the officers were still out working and some others were out exercising; however, at the dinner I discovered one of my new favorite dishes here. One of the officers prepared plantains, but instead of fried, he steamed them on a tray placed above the rice. So delicious! And they complimented the staple rice and beans perfectly. By the time we finished dinner, we were all pretty tired after a long day, so I made it a more laid-back class and a few of us played hang man. Although with this group, which includes some very strong English speakers, most of the words were pretty easy. But I did manage to “hang” them and teach them a couple new words like “hint” and “cuddle,” just in time for Valentine’s Day.
As I write part of this in my apartment, the young boys that live above us are having fun running around the building. They have also created a game where they stop quickly at the window near me to cat call whistle or sneak a peek and move the curtains at this window without me catching. With the door open and the perfect warm breeze coming in I can also hear the horribly annoying vans that drive around with huge speakers on the top that blaze commercials for some area clubs and events. Speaking of different advertising, I saw a very strange ad on television the other day for interior paint that caught my attention. Being a painter for the Neosho R-5 school district for 3 summers, perhaps I can make a good judgment on what would sell paint, and I can’t say this commercial which I thought was a commercial for lingerie or some male-enhancement medicine until the very end was very effective. Maybe it’s different for painters here in Costa Rica. 

No comments:

Post a Comment